Banga! EN


I have to confess that I actually never watch the news or anything.
And yes I know it's a bit strange or something but I even didn't grow up with watching the news. The news I know comes to me from social media and from metro, spits and stuff I find in the train on my way to my work. 

This sunday I had a friend over who wanted to watch the news and again it was about these banga lists. I had heard of them before (when the 13year old committed suicide) when I accentually saw the news while flipping trough the channels. The word keeps coming up so I started checking it out...


What is a banga list?
To the people who lived under even bigger rocks than I do with regards to watching the news: A bangalist is a top 10 list on which the names of the biggest 'sluts' in your neighbourhood/school/whatever are, 'cause banga is slang for slut. But not only that, also how to hit on them, what she likes and if she will send you naked pictures of hers. Mostly these things aren't true but try to get rid of the stigma.. I didn't try to find where the word banga comes from to keep this blog nice.. Anyway, it came in the news because a 13-year-old committed suicide for being on a list like that. This friday they announced it probably wasn't the reason for her action (source, Dutch).

These lists are spread on facebook, twitter and others. There even was an attempt to banga list 2.0. Can it get more ridiculous? 

The worst of all according to me is the whole hype it became. Since it has been in the news there are even more lists. Even one of my co-bloggers writes that they made these lists on her school, as a joke though, but to be honest I really don't think it's funny at all.

The police is asking young girls to report if they find themselves on these list because this falls in libel or slander or even both in some cases. You can find more about that here, in dutch. 

Luckily there really are girls who do report this and I hope others will follow. Unfortunately bullying is a phenomenon of all times. So I seriously doubt the effect reporting has. 

My solution

Calling a girl a slut happened for ages now at all ages, in all social classes and religions. I always supported girls doing what they wanted. I already hated the Dutch saying 'a man with 10 girls is cool while a girl with 10 guys is a whore' when I first heard of it. So girls don't let them get on to you and think about the rexona commercial: 'Women are though'. It's about time women will stand up for themselves instead of suffering from bullshit like this.


That's why I call to all women: Make your own lists with the biggest losers, the top 10 smallest dicks and so on en get back on those guys!

0 reacties:

Post a Comment