I've Been Thankful for My Abortion Every Single Day Since I Had It

One woman reflects on a new study that links access to abortion to the ability to aspire and achieve. 

Abortion is a good thing. I know this because I had one. Ten years ago, at the age of 19, I made one of the best decisions of my life, and I have never looked back. I know this is something most people aren’t used to hearing, but it’s how many people who have abortions feel about their decisions. I've been trying to spread the word for a long time that abortion offers those who need it the ability to pursue a positive future, and now new research backs that up.

According to a new study from the University of California at San Francisco, the ability to decide when to become a parent and obtain an abortion “enables women to aspire for a better life in the future and achieve these goals.” The research is based on the data from the Turnaway study, which comprises national longitudinal data on the socioeconomic and mental impact of women being able to obtain a desired abortion. Researchers interviewed more than 750 women, some of whom attempted to obtain abortions during the first trimester and near the gestational limit in their area. Some of them sought an abortion but were unable to have one. The study’s findings: Women who were able to obtain the abortions were six times as likely to report aspirational plans for the following year compared to those who were unable to have an abortion.

Read more at: Women's Health

0 reacties:

Post a Comment